Saturday, August 20, 2011

Summer fun!

It's easy to forget, but I am blessed to have every summer off to spend with my boys. This was my first summer off after returning to work last fall and it has been a wonderful summer! It flew by way too fast, but I tried to savor every moment of the extra time I got to spend with my boys.

We started the summer off with a bang by going to a playdate hosted by a MoM from the local twin group "Peas in a Pod." This was our first playdate and my first time getting to meet the other MoMs. The boys had a blast playing with different toys (we discovered bubbles that day!) and I had fun talking with other moms who understand the challenges of raising two babies at once. I met two moms with twins about 6 months older than the boys. We met up at a playground in August for a playdate and tried to host a playdate at my house, but had to cancel twice. Hopefully we'll be able to schedule a playdate in the fall. The MoMs group also has a MoMs night out once a month, where all the MoMs go out to eat a different local restaurants. I was able to go to dinner in June and in August. All the moms are so nice and friendly and fun! August's dinner was this past Thursday and it was so nice to get out and talk and laugh and share stories about twin fun. I know about the group when I was pregnant, but was too shy to get involved at the time. I so wish I had! They would have been a wonderful support at the end of my pregnancy and during the first year.

The middle/end of June was birthday celebrations! My little babies were one! I was in denial for a little, shed some tears, and spent lots of time reminiscing about the first year. It was an amazing year and even as hard as it was, I would do it all over again. Then there was their birthday party! It was the perfect day full of family and friends sharing in the joy of our amazing little boys. I couldn't have asked for a better day.










Along with the boys' birthday came a visit from the aunts and cousins! My sister and her kids flew in for the boys' birthday and spent a week and a half visiting. E&C loved getting to spend more time with their cousins. The big cousins love their little cousins and vice versa. We took lots of little day trips to places like Indian Echo Caverns, the ZooAmerica, Giggleberry Fair, and visiting different pools. Sadly, the cousins had to go back home to Colorado, but we promised to talk via FaceTime frequently.









At the end of June, I also started going to an exercise class called Stroller Strides. Definitely see if you have a class nearby you. The class is outside at a park and a combination of jogging, walking, strength training, and core muscles. I think the best part about it was getting to meet other moms with babies close to the same age and talk with each other. We even had a playdate at the park with another mom and her son named Ethan. An added bonus was getting myself back in shape. But the class was the push I needed to get back on the exercise wagon and now I'm motivated to keep exercising come fall.

The boys started their first gymnastics class. It was called Wiggly Walkers and Creepin' Crawlers, though the class was geared for more 2-4 years old. Ethan loved the class and had a blast each time running around, climbing the mats, bouncing on the trampoline, and even hung by himself from the rings for a few seconds. Chase couldn't do quite as much since he isn't walking, but we did discover that he loves to flip. He loves to do somersaults and will now lean forward and tuck his head to do a somersault while at home. He also loved it when we would flip him over one of the bars.

The highlights of July were the beach and the Phillies! We were able to take the boys down to the beach for the night and due to outside unfortunate circumstances, we ended up staying an additional night. We had taken the boys to the beach when they were 3.5 months old, but this was going to be the first time they got to play in the sand and ocean water. I wasn't sure how they would react, but I didn't expect them to hate the ocean water as much as they did! Ethan especially hated the water. Both would cry if we took them down to the edge of the water and both screamed when I took them to the water to rinse off before going back to the house. Chase really warmed up to playing in the sand. His favorite thing to do- eat the sand! Ethan enjoyed having me build a castle and then he would knock it down. Hopefully next year, both will enjoy the water more than they did this year!

I have lots of memories of going to Phillies games with my dad growing up. We lived close to the stadium and would go with a friend from school and her dad and sit in the cheap seats up top. So taking the boys to a Phillies game is special to me. We carefully picked our seats to be in the shade since this summer has been so hot. They did wonderfully! When we got there, we walked them down to the Phillies Phun Zone, which was a little play structure for kids. Ethan has fallen in love with playgrounds, so he was in heaven. After playing, we headed back to our seats, got lunch, and watched a few innings. The boys had so much fun watching the players, smiling at the people around us, and dancing to the music. A little later, we took at walk and they got their first stuffed Phillie Phanatics. The boys love them and give them a huge hug when they play with them. It was a wonderful day and only the first of many Phillies games, I'm sure.



August has been a low key month. Just lots of swimming, lunches with friends, and enjoying the last few days at home. We are fortunate enough to have a pool on our street and its an easy walk to go swimming. Chase is a fish in the water and just loves it! We got them Puddle Jumper vests and the vests let the boys swim on their own, which Chase loves. Ethan takes a little longer to warm up to the water, but once he does, he enjoys its as well. One thing they both hate- the kids' water feature! It has little water sprays that come up from the ground and a huge flower that sprays water down. We've tried taking them in the water feature a few times and each time, they both start screaming immediately. I'm not sure why they hate it so much since they love the water, but maybe they'll like it next year.






Sadly, summer is now over for me as I go back to work on Monday. I've loved all the extra time I got with my boys and I'm not looking forward to being away from them again. But I do try to remind myself how lucky and blessed I am to get this opportunity again in just 9.5 short months.

No comments:

Post a Comment