One of the twin books I read prior to the boys being born was
that the only way to survive twins is to have a sense of humor. So, so true! Whether is looking around the kitchen with today's lunch all over the floor, the playroom that looks like a bomb went off, getting up for the umpteenth time in the middle of the night, or changing the 30th diaper for the day (yes- we counted one day and went through 30 diapers when the E&C were newborns!), the only way to really survive is to just laugh.
So one of the more humorous parts of having twins- diaper changes! Let's set the stage. We do 95% of diaper changes downstairs in our living room. We keep all of the diaper supplies in the TV cabinet you see in this picture (no, our house is not normally this clean. This was a picture from when we had the house for sale)

So, I'll start changing Twin 1 (T1) and the fun begins, especially if its a dirty diaper. I get myself prepared by taking out two wipes and a diaper and putting it under my leg. Otherwise Twin 2 (T2) decides that the wipes and diaper are the newest and greatest toy to play with. T2 still spies the diaper and wipes and attempts to grab them from under my leg. I undo T1's diaper and he immediately reaches down to grab his penis with one hand and grab the diaper with the other hand. I panic for fear that the poop filled diaper will be thrown who knows where in my living room. I grab the diaper as quick as possible, try to use it to wipe as much as I can, and wrap the diaper up- all while grabbing T1's hands to keep him from touching anything else since he now has poop on his hands. T2 decides that T1's penis is now the newest and greatest toy and starts reaching for that as well. If only I had 4 hands! At least, I have 4 limbs and I now use my leg to keep T2 for grabbing at T1's penis. T2 is determined and attempts to crawl over my leg and hanging upside down for a few moments while I try to wipe off T1's hands and bottom. Now that T1 is clean (though still not diapered), he decides to roll over and take off. I quick grab him and put him back down on the clean diaper and try to quickly diaper him up. But I see that he's a little red and I should put some diaper cream on him. I open up the TV cabinet to get the diaper cream and T2 spies the open cabinet and makes a dash for it. With one hand on T1 to keep him from rolling away again, I use my other hand to pick up T2, move him from the cabinet, use my foot to close the glass door, and hand to lock it. At this point, I try to get some diaper cream on T1's bottom and finally get the diaper on, and T2 takes the time to crawl over to my back, stand up, and give me a 'back massage' aka hitting my back. I'll take the back massage after the stress of changing a diaper!
And when you really just have to laugh? When two minutes after changing T1's diaper, T2 is over in the corner, grunting with a bright red face. Time for round #2!
My diapered cuties!
No comments:
Post a Comment