Friday, September 30, 2011

Busy week!

E&C had their 15 month check up on Tuesday. This appointment was their first visit with a new doctor. We had been previously seeing a family doctor and while I didn't hate him, I didn't love him either. He had twins himself, so I liked the fact that he got what its like to raise twins, but there were times I felt like he wasn't listening to me. The last straw was after their 12 month visit when it was clear he wasn't listening. Somehow my independent walker and my army crawler/non cruiser were both "walking with support." I also didn't love the office. His nurse wasn't the greatest and they weren't the best about returning phone calls. So we got a recommendation from a family friend for a pediatrician.

Right from the start, I felt so much better! Being a ped's office and not a family doctor, the waiting room was geared towards kids. The nurse was good with kids compared to the old nurse who had no idea how to interact with kids. The doctor was amazing compared to their old doctor. Got on the floor, had toys for them to play with and for him to monitor their development, asked so many more specific questions about their development. I felt like he was listening to me. The only thing that still bothers me is Ethan's head. He had torticollis from his position as Baby A in utero and it caused him to have a flat spot on the left side of his head. He did PT for the tort for about 6 weeks, so while his tort is better, his flat spot hasn't gone away. I do feel like doctors just ignore my concern about it and think I'm just being vain. And it may just be so obvious to me because I'm the mom and I know its there, but still I want to help him as much as I can. I just want to make sure that he's not made fun of later in life for having a flat spot on his head. I'm still not sure what I want to do next about his head. But as a whole, I was much happier with the new doctor.

After their appointment, we took them to the Whitacker Center to their KidsPlay area. They were running a special for September- $12 for two people instead of $15 each. I forgot my camera, but it was neat. They had a water table, an ambulance, grocery store, construction site, and blocks area for the kids to play with and it was gated off, so the boys could run/crawl from one place to the next without us worrying as much. But as neat as it was, I'm glad we went when it was $12 total, not $30. I'm not sure it was worth $30 to play. E&C loved the ambulance the most. They were pushing all the buttons and figured out that pushing on the pedal made the sirens go off. They also loved the grocery store and being able to 'scan' all the food items. It was a nice way to end the day.




Ok....now that it's a week after I've tried writing this post (Life is busy!), I'm giving up writing paragraphs for the moment and I'm just going to list what we've done for the past week. I love documenting our daily lives just as a way to remember. Raising twins and working full time is exhausting, and therefore sucks up most of my brain power!

-Wednesday: First night of Kindermusik! The boys loved it, especially the song where they got to bounce on our legs. I think it will be good for them to be part of a more structured activity.
-Thursday: I can't remember! Mommy brain at its worst! I think we just relaxed on Thursday
-Friday: Can't remember either :( Again, I think we just relaxed.
-Saturday: Grandmom (my mom) came for a visit! We went shopping at Kohl's, got some clothes for the boys, and a waffle maker for breakfast. Time for some yummy Belgium waffles!
-Sunday: Mommy brain! I think I did a lot of cleaning to get ready for my college roommate's visit.
-Monday: My college roommate came for a visit and to spend the night since she was going to a workshop at our old college. We went for dinner and had a wonderful time catching up!
-Tuesday: Dinner with Kim and Rachel at Rachel's house. Yummy food, lots of laughter, and TONS of running around after the boys. They enjoyed riding Rachel's old tractor ride on toy (they don't make toys the way they used to) and playing the piano. I have an adorable video of them playing the piano with Rachel, but can't get it off of my phone.
-Wednesday: Kindermusik! Everyone in the class was locked out of the building. The instructor and owner sat inside the classroom wondering why no one was there yet, but never thought to go check the door. Thankfully, someone had the owner's cell phone number and we got in after waiting for almost 15 minutes.
-Thursday: Got all of our fall decorations. Now I just need to hang my door and outside railing decorations and we're ready for fall! We also went to a local playground and went 19 month old twins, who also didn't sleep through the night until 16 months. Maybe there's hope for sleep in the near future!
-Friday: Dropped off a bunch of clothes for a community "swap" for local flood victims. Shopping at the grocery store. I finally let E&C ride in the car at the front of the big cart. I have to say, I put off trying the car for as long as possible, but it may be the best way to shop. There was no grabbing every item I put in the grocery store, no throwing said items on the floor, no grabbing said items from his brother, no crying, no screaming. I'm guessing the free samples of pumpkin whoopie pie helped as well!

I'll leave you with pictures of my little musicians!



No comments:

Post a Comment